Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Saving an Old Game System

I collect old game systems. My favorites are the Atari 2600 and the Nintendo Entertainment System. My Atari 2600 quit working one day recently. I live in a very dust place so I figured that might be the culprit. I opened it up and the board inside was pretty dirty and covered in flux. I used a vacuum tube attachment and suck out the larger dust pieces. Next I just took some cotton swabs, used some 91% alcohol and cleaned off the board. It looked like all of the soldering was still o.k. so I hooked it back up and sure enough that simple cleaning did the trick.

Little tip for the 2600: The video cable isn't hard wired to the board. Before chucking it just open it up and at least make sure that the av cable hasn't come unplugged.











Image Source: Wikicommons


Remember save and re-use

No comments:

Post a Comment